Check out HJ's blog, "Adventures in stoving", I finally met him a few weeks ago at Henry Coe SP in CA. He has twice the stoves I have, most of the canister stoves. We've exchanged stoves a few times over the last few years.
I've used my Pocket Rocket into the single digits a few times, need to dunk the canister in water a few times or into the pot of water you are heating. A good remote canister stove should work fine if you want to stick with expensive canisters. Wind Pro II, Omnifuel, the old MSR Rapidfires, but they have a stiff fuel line. I usually bring a white gas or kerosene stove in cold weather. The MSR Dragonfly white gas/kerosene)seems to have the best adjustment for simmering. Loud.
Select a stove for your intended needs as has been stated, shape and size of burner means a lot. A broader head like a MSR Super Fly or Coleman Exponent F1 Power Boost have wide heads, good for dispersed flame
If you have to go out in cold temps make some adjustments or get a different stove.
I'm not an expert, I just have a lot of stoves. Tyson is being nice. I go bping year round by the way.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane (02/08/14 09:12 PM)