Originally Posted By BrianLe
Quote:
"With fire bans imminent this year I'm guessing if I want to cook at all, ..."

My experience is that a significant number of people who "just know" that they wouldn't like eating only cold meals are in fact fine with them if they give that approach a fair shot and learn from the experiences of others what things to pack & eat.

Maybe this is a good year/goad to simplify your backpacking life? No need to get or store fuel or decide how much to carry. No pot, windscreen, stove, or possibly other fiddly things (heat exchanger, pot scrubber, etc etc). No issues with washing dishes, either the chore or the environmental aspect of that. Less fiddling around, when you're ready to eat you just start eating. I like it, in any event. The variety can be harder to maintain, but for modest length trips of the type that I think that most people typically do, that also shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a fan now, anyway, after having been quite a doubter before I tried it.

Great point Brian. I never eat hot meals day hiking and many times that's for all the meals in a day. I don't think I would have much problem switching to cold meals only. I will have to try this year.