Personally, I like road walking, and I do a lot of it. I've studied the ADT closely, and I feel the part through the desert in the west is too dangerous for most people.

If you want an excellent pre-planned route, I'd suggest the ADT until Pueblo, CO., and then pick up the TransAmerica Bicycle trail. Even better, I'd suggest just doing the whole TransAmerica bicycle trail. You can buy excellent maps at their website.

You can do a virtual walk of the bicycle trail here.

Surprisingly, water may be an issue in areas where towns are further apart. I wouldn't consider any source of water safe along roads,even with filtering. I've never read of anyone who was successful with stashing water, especially in plastic containers. It's not possible to easily carry enough water in some of these areas to make it through the area. If I were doing this hike, before a long stretch where there is no water, I'd buy a wagon or a baby carriage at a thrift store.

Expect to be stopped by law enforcement along the way. Don't carry any weapons or drugs. Your chances of not being stopped will be better if you shave everyday and keep your clothes relatively clean. To minimize the chances of being stopped, walk against traffic so you don't appear to be hitch-hiking. If you stop to rest, get far enough away from the road so it doesn't appear as if you are hitch-hiking.

You will have to learn to stealth camp. Don't camp under bridges, as the homeless people tell me that's the most dangerous place to camp. Most nights, you won't need a tent. Once you start looking, you will find many places where it's possible to spend a night. The general rule on stealth camping is set up camp after dark and leave before sunrise. Camp at least a mile or so outside of town to avoid homeless camps.

Getting through Colorado on the TransAmerica Trail is easy. It's more difficult on the ADT as you end up in the mountains which is a different backpacking skill.

Your pack weight is a big issue. You should be able to keep it under 25 pounds including food and water.

Clothing requirements are different on the road. Sunburn can be an issue, and so can overheating as the pavement will be hotter. I always wear light cotton as synthetic is too hot and smelly. You won't need to be prepared for as broad a temperature range as you would in the mountains. To prepare, I'd suggest walking at least 5 miles a day in whatever weather you have. You will soon learn what clothing combinations work for you. I think you will also find that the number of miles you can do will be less than you think. Walking dawn to dusk is not a realistic goal unless you take naps along the way.

Footwear is another consideration. If it's hot, the heat from the road will come through the soles of your shoes. My most comfortable footwear is a pair of Danner combat boots. My fastest footwear, surprisingly, is a pair of Redwing boots. To make boots last a very long time, put black Gorilla tape on the bottom and patch it along the way. It forms a rubberized sole, and after over 1,500 hundred miles, the soles don't show any wear at all.

Another option is to buy cheap shoes along the way. They will last 2-300 miles. Either way, I recommend wool socks or Thorlo socks.

Now, for the reasons I like road walking better than trail walking. I'm a somewhat social person, but I find people on trails don't like to chit-chat as they generally have to be on their way to meet their goal for the day. On the road, people like to talk and tell you their life story.

If this is something you can't stop thinking about it, then do it. You will either make it or learn enough to make it the next time. After the first few days, you will be the expert. The chances of anything serious happening are small, and the chances of a lifetime of memories are high. Don't let anyone change your dream to their dream.