You might want to look at the mids made by Mountain Laurel Designs. They have much less expensive silnylon options as well as cuben, and have been in the business a lot longer. I haven't heard anything bad about HMG, but I've done business with MLD and have been happy with them. At least this gives you another option to look at.

My own research convinced me that even a cuben mid plus bug netting inner (especially one big enough for me plus dog) is definitely not the lightest option. I personally won't go out without bug netting! Of course, YMMV!

Another place to look is ZPacks. I have their Hexamid Twin but haven't been able to use it enough yet to know if it's a keeper. I wouldn't want to use it for two because the door is on only one side, but it's fine for one person plus dog or child. This fall, ZPacks came out with three new models, the Hexamid Solplex, Duplex and Triplex. Unlike the older Hexamids, these have sewn-in bathtub floors and the Duplex and Triplex have two doors. The doors are also higher than on the old Hexamids. They are a little heavier, but probably worth it. Again, because made of cuben, they are pricey!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/12/14 03:27 PM)