No, don't have a Border Collie (spell?). I don't think that I'm going to be that drastic, that I'll never be able to carry a pack again, but this is something that I'll be discussing with the Doc, on the 15th. I'm really not sure of the level of intensity that the physical therapy will be either, I'll have to get a "go" this time to even start that though. I've got some bone screws and such from the military, and have had the resultant multiple knee surgeries, staving off a knee replacement until as late in life as possible. I just work through that pain, but, as you know the neck isn't something I want to play "macho" guy with, if you get my drift. I'm not suffering any real pain now, just constant nagging discomfort, but if I forget and try to lift something heavy, it let's me know pretty quickly.

I'm not ready to retire from back packing, but willing to do some short, say 3 day, 5mi a day gentle terrain stuff. Enough to stay out over night along a lake shore, with absolutely the minimum for gear, and not having to pack any substantial amount of water. (filter it out of the lake).

I've got some ultra light of everything, except for a UL pack itself, so I could snag one over in Cincy at REI.

I'm not sure if a "solo" trip would be a good idea, but I might be able to work something out with a friend, for a two person trip.

Oh well, post getting long. I just thought I could get some info from folks who've seen this. Although greatly appreciated, the responses are a little scary, if not disheartening.

Thanks,
J.