I recently purchased my first pack, a Lost Coast 45. Went to pack my coleman sleeping bag into it and realized that it was taking up over half the pack in its carry bag which is far to much which means its time to upgrade!

What I am looking for suggestions on is a compact sleeping bag but It can not be a mummy bag even though i know that will decrease volume because those make me claustrophobic (honestly even some rectangle bags i leave unzipped partially). It does not have to be very cold rated because its only going to be subject to NY summers which probably wont see anything dipping below 50.

I am not terribly concerned with weight as much as size as I forsee that as the limitation of the bag at this point in time. If possible I would like to keep the price low as I know a quality bag can quickly reach into the hundreds in the blink of an eye but I am aware down will compress better then a synthetic.

I have considered the idea of a quilt but have no idea which ones are good and if their are any which are not overly expensive.

So far my big contender is this. Its light so I presume (perhaps wrongly) that it will be pretty compact rolled up and its really cheap. Reviews are scarce for this company but they seem to be ok as long as you dont abuse them. http://www.shoplafuma.com/product/37121

As I review the link posted I see the volume is still pretty high on that bag. Is their any rough numbers for compressible volume with stuff sacks on synthetic versus down?

Edited by zeaken (12/30/13 12:30 PM)