Quote:
When me and my friend hike the lead man seems to set the pace. We swap back and forth depending on pace we're going.

Yeah, when it's just me and a friend or two we do that too.

When we're bushwhacking I find it easier on me to follow if the person in the lead is good at selecting a track. I get all the benefits of their good choices and the option to select a different track to avoid their not so good choices. Plus they clear all the spider webs and lots of the ticks for you. grin

But I enjoy leading too. I don't mind clearing the webs and catching the ticks. I don't always see the best track either. It sucks when you're all tangled up in briar or boulders and you're buddies are laughing at you as they pass you by, but it's always easier to catch up than lead so we all get our laughs in.

Sometimes it's better to just stay put and let the leader find the best track. When we're exploring bluffs we do this a lot. You just can't see a track until you do some scrambling around a bit. My neighbor Randy, who I've hiked most with here in the Ozarks, is very good at selecting a track. I still map out most our trips but I really do enjoy letting him select the track there.

"You want to go where?"