I'm glad to read that your wife's surgery was going well, and I'm sorry I didn't see this thread when it came out.
Just to chime in my experience with a bunionectomy: it was great! I had it done in Feb a couple years back, and by that July I was able to do the Rae Lakes loop 40 miles. I may have to do the other foot as well, but I'm holding off for now. I would recommend it for anyone with bunion problems, though like any surgery, it has its risks. If anyone lives in the Bay Area and has Kaiser, I strongly recommend Daisy Sundstrom: she was beyond awesome, as a doctor and a human being.
My only real ongoing problem that surgery did not correct, is that I need to wear shoes with a wide toebox. The only brand that really works for me is Keens, unfortunately, because I don't otherwise think they are especially durable and wellmade. (If anyone with similar problems has a suggestion of another brand, I'd be interested to hear of it.).
And happy trails to your wife!
PS I also found it essential to get good custom made orthotics. I got a pair through Kaiser for $350 cost to me, a subsidized price.