Originally Posted By Pika
You can also get potassium iodide (KI) tablets if the taste of kelp makes you gag.

I actually like the taste of some kelp; in modest amounts mind you. Kelp tablets are a good source of iodine but the iodine is less readily available than it is in KI. But, I would take it in kelp form if for no other than philosophical reasons.

If a person suspects iodine or thyroid deficiency, however, they would be best advised to get a blood test: there are other medical issues with symptoms similar to thyroid problems that iodine won't help.

Well, I've never been fond of the smell of kelp. I used to fish the kelp beds near Malibu and those tablets smell just like old kelp that's washed ashore eek I've heard about it being prepared for the table, though I've never tried it.

But you're right, I probably should go get a blood test. We have a naturopathic doctor nearby I might go see, but this one is almost a no-brainer and I can already feel a difference.

I don't think there's any doubt I'm deficient in iodine. It's pretty common in the mid west where there's almost none in the farm grown veggies and I don't eat much saltwater fish or shell food. And, even though I've upped my intake of table salt, I still don't use it very often. More than I did a couple years ago, but as I've not made it anything close to a habit of it's pretty close to impossible for me not to be deficient.

To be honest, I don't have a "doctor". I haven't been to a doctor for anything but antibiotics in decades and only about 3 times for those in the past 20 years. I just don't trust them anymore.

The naturopathic doctor we have is great though. He also owns and runs a heath food store with his wife and over the years I've seen him help/cure a lot of people. It couldn't hurt to ask him to check me over.

"You want to go where?"