Originally Posted By lori

Don't listen to me. Listen to SCIENCE.

Originally Posted By ANDY KIRKPATRICK
APPLYING THE SCIENCE
So what does all this mean to you, the storm-bound climber in the real world?

Thing is, I'm not a "storm-bound climber", I'm a hiker and backpacker, and I tend to not be hiking or backpacking when it's raining, so that "Science" doesn't really apply to me anymore than the science behind Kevlar, which I also don't wear while backpacking or hiking because no one is shooting at me.

So I still offer that this is a style, regional, and conditions based decision and there is no single solution that is best for all styles, locations, and conditions.

My style is bushwhacking off trail, the region I do this in is filled with bramble and briar and sharp rock, and the conditions I go out in are generally not when it's raining, or even much of a chance that it might rain. For that, cotton works great, but I still bring a lightweight backup of wool/fleece inner layer and a waterproof outer shell, which bring us back to "be prepared".

When it's really cold I wear fleece lined denim jeans. They're awesome for bushwhacking around here. They're heavy, but you can trudge right through heavy briar and not get ripped up.

"You want to go where?"