Updating gear has never been an obsession for me but when I do it's generally because I've stumbled upon or learned something new. I'll use gear until it dies if it's working for me.

Most of my gear has come in the form of gifts, Christmas and Birthday presents. A lot of it sits on my gear shelf when I backpack, and a lot of it was well used and loved, but heavy.

I used to be able to claim that "I backpack on the cheap" but two out of the last three of my biggest updates, pack and sleeping pad, were given to me, and it was quite a surprise that they were. Each of those products taught me a lot. They were both a lot better than I'd have ever thought just by looking at them or hearing about them, and I would have never purchased either of them myself. Once they were mine, and I could use them as I would any other gear that's mine, it was easy to realize I had underestimated their worthiness by quite a bit. When they wear out I will purchase similar items and pay the price. They're worth it.

I updated my sleeping bag last year, but my old bag had seen a lot of years of hard use and it was always big, heavy, and not at all warm, and I really needed a down bag in order to be able to use the pack that was given to me. I don't see updating that again until the current one wears out and that will likely take years.

My tent is experimental (and cheap). I made it myself and I'm still learning about it's strengths and weaknesses, but I sold two tents right after I made it because I knew I'd never use them again. When it wears out, which will probably be by the end of this season at best, I'll decide if I want to make another or buy one. Right now, there isn't one on the market I'd be excited to buy. I've come to really love that simple old "Baker's Tent" design and there isn't one made for lightweight backpacking that I know of. So, in the case of my tent, I'll probably update it when it fails and leaves me miserable, or I have a flash of inspiration for the next one and make it, or at the end of this season, whichever comes first.

The SuperCat stove is so light, and easy, and cheap, that I don't see any reason to carry anything else. I might, someday, update my water treatment. What I use works great, and is very light, so I'm not compelled at the moment, but that could change. Those seem to be getting a lot of attention and new technologies might be right around the corner, so I'll keep my options open on those and buy one when compelled.

I've always drawn the line far below anywhere that leaves my family and close friends wanting instead. I can always backpack on the cheap, and never really need new gear. As I've gotten older it's been easier for me to spend some money on gear, but I still can't justify going "High End". I can spend $100-$150 now and then on a piece of gear, but I can't spend more than that. I've got family that would come before that and always will. It's a big family I'm in.

"You want to go where?"