Hey Sebastian and Mattias,

Sounds like a great adventure you're planning and I'm sure you'll have a great time at it.

Here, in the US, backpacking is more what you euros might call "Wilderness Camping" (or something like that). We go out into the wilderness areas that are public land and bring all we need in our backpacks. We stay for days, even weeks or months, and ramble around on or off trails. There are no hostels or motels involved, and generally no diving, parachuting, zip lining, or other such attractions or thrills involved.

So, we can help you with gear choices for stuff like tents, backpacks, food, clothes, sleeping bags, etc. Sounds like you'll be using some of the same gear we use and doing some of the same things.

There are several members here who are avid climbers, and probably some that have traveled to some of the places you two want to go. I've been to Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Jamaica. If you do any of Central America I'll suggest visiting any of the many pyramids, and in the Yucatan you should certainly visit the Cenotes. I'm not sure if you can dive in them, but I never saw any restrictions posted against it. Some of them I've swam in were over 40 meters deep and you could see to the bottom.

There a small river in Belize you can float on inner tubes that runs through a series of caves. I think you hook-up with the "Jaguar Paw" resort to do that. That's pretty unique no matter where you go, and it's worth the effort. Off the coast of Belize is San Pedro Island. I stayed at Ambergris Caye which is well known for spectacular diving. There's a spot called "The Blue Hole" there that's pretty well known as a great diving spot. I didn't go there, I don't dive, but one of my daughters has been there and she was amazed and impressed. Snorkeling there is great too, and I did a lot of that.

Jamaica was okay, I stayed in Ocho Rios. I don't recommend it though. There are better places to visit in the Caribbean, I just haven't been to any of them yet.

If you ever decide to come to the US and do some american style backpacking let us know. We can put you on to best there is to offer no matter where you go wink

"You want to go where?"