Gershon,

My apologies blush, I am a bit of a dinosaur with tech. I have a spread sheet that is the equivalent of an abacus to a calculator, still works for me though.

Every item was weighed on a calibrated scale. I'm finding manufacturer listed weights are just not reliable, but to cut them some slack, unless we are talking about a machined or cast item that is limited by tolerance inspection I imagine its pretty hard to hold numbers better than they do. Of course they could, but then the rejected items would get averaged in with the acceptable weights and your gear would cost like areo-space parts. My only gripe is that they should post the upper numbers of their production runs instead of possibly a pre production prototype.

I have all my gear listed in grams, lbs. and ozs. on my spread sheet. It is set up to total my gear weights before and after the consumables. I was mainly concerned with opinions here on the base weight on the colder days because there it will be at its heaviest. The water weight and food carried is so variable and maybe not a fair question to ask as my needs will vary greatly from others.

I definitely agree with you on limiting the water weight if possible. Even so much that the little sawyer will be in my day pack from now on. As far as food, I usually try to end up with nothing more than a few snacks back at the trail head. Im not big on carrying large amounts of extras but I always have in the back of my mind a debilitating injury that would force I single party overnight. That little extra snack could be a great comfort while a buddy goes for help.

thanks for the tip on the download. I'll see if I can work with it.

jimmyb