Glen, thanks for taking the time to review our gear load.

Sorry for the confusion. The list is for one pack. My original spread sheet lists shared equipment clearer but would not copy to the board correctly. Represented here are items we each carry and shared equipment all in one list. I totaled the shared equipment, divided by 2 and then subtracted 1/2 of that to represent the true base for both of us. Yeah, I can see how it gets confusing eek I will edit the post with asterisks next to shared equipment to make it clearer.

The tent is 4lbs. So that's 2 lbs each. We will be BPing in New England. That would be put us in Adirondacks NY, White mnts of NH, Long trail VT, and Berkshires nearer to home.

The issue of money was definitely a concern and the tent and bags were considered in that decision. The Kelty salida cost us $122 and we are actually very pleased with it. The EMS mountain lights were $269 ea. I did look at the Apache by Western Mountaineering but just couldn't spend the coin right now. Not the lightest as you mention but not breaking the bank if things didn't go so well and we decided not to continue with BPing. Talking money always makes me feel like I am making excuses for my gear decisions, but its just a fact of life. My one concern was the choice of a 15 deg bag. It quite possibly could be a little overkill but being cold at night ruins my trip. Having Fabry disease leaves me with a serious intolerance to cold. Once again trying not to make excuses, just an unfortunate fact of life.

I am a bit relieved that you understand my pack choice and if I can get the opportunity to check out some Lt Wt packs I will certainly take your advise. I am hoping to play around on the sewing machine this winter with making a Lt Wt day pack for fast trekking day hikes. Who knows, that may lead to better options for BPing.

thanks again for taking the time, jimmyb