First post but not new to camping.

I’m trying to decide on the best camp stove for my needs and want to get some input from other backpackers, cyclists, etc. I like to try out different gear (a great excuse for buying different gear) but this gets expensive.
Here are the parameters I’m considering:

• I’m a backpacker and cyclist so size and weight are the immediate issues.
• Must be reliable and easy to light - I don’t do any arctic camping, mostly low alpine above 30 degrees F.
• Assume the need to carry fuel for minimum 10 days, cooking 2.5 meals a day for 1 man (simple meals - boil and eat).
• Fuel availability – white gas, unleaded gas, diesel usually available. I don’t want a propane/butane stove.
• Cost - would like to stay under $100; used gear is good by me.

I haven’t used the Svea 123 or Optimus 8r but I’d like to. My problem with them is that each contains a small fuel tank and I would need to carry a separate one to refill and that’s an added weight/space. My experience has shown me it’s best to have a separate stove and fuel tank. Opinions on this?

- I do have the Coleman 550 and really like it but the attached tank and size are big disadvantages for carrying it.
- The Trangia alcohol stove is compact and reliable but it’s difficult to regulate with the aftermarket rings and it doesn’t put off the heat I’d like for just boiling water.
- The Esbit stove is extremely simple and light to carry but I find I use a lot of tablets and they get heavy for long hikes.
- Many years ago I had a Primus Omnifuel that was a great stove but I was cycling with it and had to repack it in panniers after every meal. I didn’t like leaving the fuel hose connected and risk bending it so I’d have to remove the pump with every use - the only drawback. Do the hoses now all have a quick disconnect link on them? I would consider buying something similar to the Primus like a Whisperlite or Optimus Nova, etc., if I didn’t have to remove the pump with each use and can pack it securely.

Opinions ????

p.s. reviews have been iffy on the Optimus Nova+. Should I scratch that one off my list?

Edited by back2denali (09/14/13 07:29 PM)