I don't think I'll be getting any new gear this season but it's fun reading about what you're all using.

I am getting excited about the new season coming up though. I have a new neighbor, Brad, who's an old friend of my longtime neighbor and great hiking partner, Randy, who are both eager to do some backpacking this year.

These guys are a pleasure to hang out with. They both know what they're doing and they're a lot fun so we're all looking forward to the end of October when our season starts here.

It's pretty nice to backpack with people who you don't have to worry about. Brad and Randy and I are about the same age and we're all on the same page out there. We're all self contained and carry a few things to share so it works out even better than going solo. Brad's a newbie, but he's got all the necessary skills so he's already better than most I've backpacked with.

It should be a good season here too. We've had some nice rain and the creeks are still running pretty good so if we get even average rainfall from here on out it will be beautiful out. The trees are all looking good so the Autumn color could be great.

So this season looks like it could work out to be one of the best I've had in quite a few years. The gear I've got is the best I've ever had and I've gotten to know it well enough to be comfortable with it. I've got some great friends who are eager to go and they'll take any trip I plan out.

Randy and I have gone to some really cool spots that I've read about and led him too, and Brad's been hearing about them for years, so now I get to pick them out and lead the trip and they even share their food with me.

That's about everything a body could ask for.

"You want to go where?"