I wouldn't necessarily think wading is any safer than rock hopping. That depends on the crossing, one's personal abilities, and more often than not a bit of luck.

I almost always rock hop, and like Barefoot, I'll bushwhack a long way to find a good, safe, crossing. If I know there's a good chance I have to wade I'll bring water shoes, but I usually don't. Truth is, I've dunked my feet in the water more times than I can count rock hopping, but I've crossed dry more times than that.

I have waded creeks and rivers a lot, many miles in fact, though not much with a full backpack, and from my experience it's much more likely that I'll slip and fall while wading than rock hopping, especially if there's a strong current.

Crossings are a main reason I use a hiking stick. They can be used as a third point of balance and make crossing much easier and safer.

I suppose if I hiked mostly on trails in warm weather I might use fast drying trail runners and just slosh my way across streams and let them dry while I was wearing them. That seems like a good option in those conditions.

"You want to go where?"