I find myself in a somewhat similar situation. Plunked out here right smack dab in the middle of Bankhead National Forest, but about 100lbs over my ideal weight. I love camping and hiking, but my lack of physical ability is very limiting.

I'm working on that. My wife and I have started a low carb diet (diet as in long-term lifestyle change, not crash fad diet that won't last), and I've already dropped about 8lbs and a belt notch. Phase II, to begin this very week, is to start exercising. It will include some canoeing (because I'm also on beautiful Smith Lake), some stationary bike, some hiking, some road walks, and whatever else we can think of to keep it interesting.

I've got my kit down to where I like it, with the exception of wanting to trade in my bulky, heavy synthetic bag for a light down bag and a down underquilt for my hammock. But that will have to wait a bit because money is tight. What I have works, and that's enough for now.

Hang in there. Eat smart (I'm a foodie, so I know the pitfalls that food and good beer offer!), exercise, and keep trying. Don't worry about your speed; your speed is your speed. My philosophy is that if I can't keep up with the jackrabbits, maybe I can walk longer, at a more steady pace. So that's what I try to do.

Take care of your feet, and they'll take care of you.

And most of all, have fun!