Most of us just boil water to rehydrate freeze-dried or home-dehydrated food, so we don't need a cook set, just a single pot.

Mine is a Firelight 0.5 liter titanium pot I bought from Backpacking Light back when they were selling gear. I also have a 1.3 liter Ti pot to use when I take the grandkids. I do take a separate frying pan when fishing (in case I catch anything), but normally I just bring water to a boil and pour it over my dried foot food (which is in a freezer bag), stir and let it sit in a cozy 15 minutes. I then eat it out of the freezer bag. The only thing I need to wash is my spoon.

For the budget-conscious, try the famous grease pot. Ditch the inner filter and replace the wooden knob on the lid with a small piece of wire. I use the pliers on my Leatherman Micra as a pot lifter. Some like to drill a couple of holes and add a wire bail. Yes, the grease pot will get pretty battered after a couple of years, but you can buy a lot of them for the price of one titanium pot!

If you're going to do real cooking instead of just boiling water, get anodized aluminum rather than titanium. Ti doesn't spread the heat, so you'll have burned food over the flame and raw elsewhere.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/11/13 04:46 PM)