Duane:

Oddly, I feel exceptionally well qualified to weigh in here. I actually live in a travel trailer. It's a Dutchman and it's 34' long with two slideouts. Obviously you'll want something a tad smaller. smile

However, what you get should depend on what you ultimately see yourself doing with it. If it's just to have something to trail-head camp with so you can take off on trail whenever you want, you should consider something like a teardrop trailer. They're usually small (~8 - 9' long) and you sleep inside. You're kitchen is in a hatchback at the back. It runs off of both propane and marine batteries. Or you could get a bigger trailer, say a 15 or 16' one with a shower/bath inside. With these the only real drawback is interior space from side to side. That and you'll have to make your bed from the kitchen table every night and day.

The biggest decider really is how long do you intend to go for? That will determine how big a set of propane tanks to take. You'll also need to find out whether or not where you camp at has both water and sewer hook ups. The smaller the trailer, the smaller your fresh, gray and black water tanks will be. (For a comparison, my fresh water is 35 gallons and lasts about 3 days if I don't shower. The gray tank is 40 gallons an will need to be emptied every 4 days if you shower and wash dishes. The black water tank is 40 gallons and last about a week to 9 days before i have to dump it. I'm hooked up to city water and my gray tank is open all the time so I don't worry about that or the fresh water tank).

An alternative is a bed tent. This is a large tent that sets up int he bed of your truck. It's lighter than a camper and easier to store. Not sure how well it'll hold up in severe storms, but even a trailer will rock and roll in 35 mph winds. (At least mine does gently).

Best advice is to look around at a nearby RV dealer and see what's available and what feels like it'll work for you.