The "wag bag" method versus keeping the composting toilet at Trail Camp is not working. Given the number of permits issued, the idea of not having a poo facility (because it is against "structures in the wilderness" ethic), is not practical. Either drastically cut the permits or re-install the composting toilet. Same problem at Muir Trail Ranch (Balaney Hot Springs), which I was at last week. I was going to camp outside the established camp area and all I saw were little holes of poo dug up by animals. This "camp" could use a composting toilet, like that in Little Yosemite (and it could be paid for by a $5 fee per permit). I do not think you can have it both ways - lots of permits issued and no facilities to handle the crowds. I also think the JMT hikers need to be a bit more flexible and not just follow a guide-book schedule, all camping at the same places. The JMT actually is a beautiful trail, ruined by too much use. Get out a map, and devise your own route, not entirely on the JMT. There are multiple possibilities.