Welcome in!

I'll weigh in on the stove selection. You'll be tempted, but I personally would recommend against an alcohol stove for now. An ISO stove (Iso-butane) is easier and less finicky to use. I have both and I've found that for me I prefer an ISO stove (although I'll take both next time out to do a comparison), but there's no measuring of fluid, you don't take a chance on spilling flammable liquid on your gear, etc. Basically, I'd say alcohol stoves are not for beginners. They're not difficult to use, they just need some experience in what I'd call controlled circumstances (your backyard) to get used to the boil times. I haven't tried actaully cooking "real" foods with one, but...

I'll also echo what's also been said by others. Boots or shoes, backpack size and weight, foods to take are all fairly personal choices. Fit, fit, fit and fit are your watchwords for these. You've been given some great links to a lot of info and you'll find yourself in a tizzy trying to figure it all out. So, read carefully, formulate specific questions and find the appropriate section of the forum to ask them in and you'll get some great advice and feedback from folks who hike all over this great nation of ours.