Here are a couple of websites with lots of food info.
Trail Cooking
One Pan Wonders
Articles by Dr. Brenda Braaten, nutritionist and long-distance hiker.

I personally dehydrate my own dinners and reconstitute them by pouring boiling water into the freezer bag containing the food and let it sit in a cozy for about 15 minutes. This method saves a lot of fuel and means I have no dishes to wash except a spoon (can you guess that I hate washing dishes?). I do buy some freeze-dried ingredients in bulk, especially vegetables--home dehydrated peas retain the consistency of buckshot even after a lot of cooking, so freeze-dried is better there. Packit Gourmet is a great source. You can also use this method for supermarket dinners as long as the cooking time is no more than 7-8 minutes (double that time in the cozy). You'll find a lot of recipes using supermarket food on the Trail Cooking website.

There are very lightweight stoves that use not propane (which is very heavy because of the required steel container) but isobutane or an isobutane-propane mix. Two commonly used ones are made by Snow Peak and by MSR; there are other brands just as good. Mine is made by Primus and weighs only 2 oz., but it has been discontinued. Alcohol fueled stoves are also very popular, and you can make your own. Everything you ever wanted to know about stoves. For reviews of recent stove products, try Hikin' Jim's Adventures in Stoving.

I haven't worn hiking boots for 5 years--for a long time I held out for boots, but I made the switch to trail runners in 2009 and have never worn the boots since! Like many others I far prefer to hike in trail running shoes. They fit better and support my feet better, they are far lighter and I've never had a blister or a turned ankle since I switched. Avoid Goretex linings; they are like putting your feet in a Turkish bath (leading to blisters) and if they get wet inside (which invariably happens) they take days to dry. In my trail runners I just walk through stream fords and walk the shoes dry. There are lightweight "mid" boots if you insist on boots instead of shoes. At least for women, though, it's basically impossible to find a lightweight boot that isn't Goretex lined! For winter use, of course, you need something well insulated and more substantial, especially for Alaska! Hopefully Heather will chime in here. The most important thing about footwear, though, is fit, fit and fit! Feet are very individual, so what works for one person will probably not work for you. Wear what fits you!

You may want to browse the archives here. Read the "sticky" post at the beginning of the General Discussion section before trying the search function. Or you could just page through the sections on lightweight gear, food and others.

I haven't read Andrew Skurka's book, but a lot of folks recommend it. There are lots of good articles on his website.

Another good article: PMag's Lightweight Backpacking 101.

This should keep you going for a while!

One thing to note: You need to experiment a bit to see what works for you. What works for me may not work for you, which is why one of our favorite phrases is YMMV--Your Mileage May Vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/24/13 03:29 AM)