Originally Posted By melford83
Thank you all! I agree that most people on the trail are good people that look after one another. My boyfriend isn't a hiker, but fishes regularly and runs into drunk or homeless people. I suppose that is the source of his fears. I think that he's confusing river wooded areas in the city with actual wilderness. Now I can show him there are plenty of people that agree with me. Thanks

I should say that the risks are the same for everyone in the wilderness - you are still better off knowing how to prevent hypothermia, dehydration, hyperthermia (heat stroke), and how to address AMS symptoms if going over 8000 feet - these are all basic to wilderness travel.

If going on the Appalachian trail, which is arguably "civilized wilderness hiking," and the only trail with a crime rate (including a number of murders) - none of this applies. Take pepper spray and be wary of those who drive up, hike a mile, and cause mayhem - these are not backpackers or hikers, but typical Civilized Riffraff such as you will encounter in bad neighborhoods in any town. Sections of the AT are so close to town as to have the same issues.

I am pretty confident that if I hit the trail in Lake Tahoe by myself, I'd be able to hike to the Mexican border without being accosted in an unfriendly manner. Except that one property owner along the southern PCT, but I hear that was settled finally and the booby traps are removed. But that's out here. We who travel the western wilderness have a different experience.

http://hikeandbackpack.com