Lori talked about bear spray, but perhaps by 'Pepper Spray' you meant a much smaller personal protection type of unit, mace? I'd carry that if it makes you feel safer, as indeed I think that humans are one of the most dangerous animals out there. But then I'd think in terms of NOT using it, using your instincts and common sense to avoid any situation where you might need to use it.

I think that where you're hiking, as well as when, these can make a big difference. Is your two months somewhere you'll be truly alone, or are you perhaps hiking where a lot of kindred spirits will be hiking in the same general timeframe and direction?

Where trail community forms, the trail community tends to look out for each other; I've encountered many solo female hikers on the PCT and the AT. One of my daughters expressed interest at one time in long distance backpacking. Before I'd done some of that myself, I would have had quite a lot of trepidation. After being part of such a moving gypsy trail community myself, I'd feel a whole lot better about it now.