thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

i picked up a sawyer squeeze a couple of outdoor research bug bivys just to keep the creepy crawlers off of us a cheap poly tarp and a walmart trekking pole.

my daughter and i went on a small hike which was about six miles out then we set up camp overnight and hiked back the next day. we both really liked the bivy and tarp set up.we started out under the tarp but in the end we put the tarp on the ground and put the bivys on top of it so we could get a better breeze and watch the stars and clouds go bye.

the sawyer squeeze worked great my daughter said the lake water we filtered tasted like it came out of the faucet so that is one less worry for me i thought she might not like it you know 8 year old kids can be picky at times, but she was sold on it and the mountain house spaghetti which she said she wouldnt eat. needless to say i went to bed hungry that night after she ate it all haha!!!
we are still on the lookout for a lightweight tarp but so far the gear we got is a good start and it gets us outdoors so thats what matters.thanks for the help and suggestions everyone