You're right, Lori: there are faster, lighter, quieter stoves - but I've yet to find ONE stove that is all three - and that's the basis of my change of heart.

I was using an MSR Titan Kettle and MicroRocket (about 5 or 6 ounces, total) that was lighter than the Jetboil. In calm, warm conditions, it came close to being as fast; but in the wind, not so much - unless I used a windscreen, at which point it was no longer lighter. It was not noticeably quieter. I've also used a Snow Peak Gigapower, with the same results as the MSR setup.

I've used Trangia stoves - definitely quieter, but not lighter or faster. Admitttedly, alcohol stoves made from cat food cans or pop cans would be lighter - but they need a windscreen to be efficient (and still aren't as fast), and the windscreen can more or less eliminate the weight savings (more, if it's a commercially-made screen; less if it's a few layers of aluminum foil.)

(I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that you can take only as much alcohol as you need for a specific trip, whereas you always have to take an entire gas canister - that gets into a whole discussion by itself; besides, for shorter trips, I often have a partly-full canister to take, which reduces that weight difference to an ounce or two.)

The big thing, with any kitchen, is that it has to fit the way you cook. For me, it's like someone watched me fix breakfast and supper and designed a stove to fit. However, as with nearly all other gear, my solution might not work so well for someone else (and vice versa.) Thus, I'd recommend that anyone consider the Jetboil Sol - but I'd never demand that they choose it or be "wrong" and I'm familiar enough with your advice to know you feel the same about "right" or "wrong" in backpacking. (Well, we both feel cotton is wrong, but we won't go there... smile )