Glenn, I have a Fly Creek UL1 that I have been using now for about five years. Yes, it has a few shortcomings: the water/entrance issue is one and the cramped quarters is another. If I did a lot of hiking in really rainy country I would probably rethink my tent but for me; hiking mainly in Arizona and in the Sierra and dealing largely with thunderstorms it works quite well.

I like the double wall feature, the ease of setting it up, and the light weight. While I wouldn't want to wait out a three-day storm in a Fly Creek, I can't think of any one person tent in which I would. But, I would sooner wait out a long storm in almost any 1P tent than I would hanging in a hammock.

The water entry issue can be a problem but not, in my experience, a large one. I'm in the second half of my 70's and suffer from the BPH issues common to my age. While I prefer to get out and away from the tent if hydraulic pressure calls, there is enough room in the FC-1 to use a pee bottle. If I choose to exit the tent while it is raining, sure, water gets in but not enough that it can't be blotted up.

When I was looking at small, double-wall tents, I narrowed the choice to the Fly Creek with the front entrance and the Big Sky Evolution with side door. I chose the FC because I wanted the tent sometime that year-I have not yet regretted the decision. Prior to the Fly Creek, I had been using a SMD Luna Solo or Tarptent Contrail. They are both good tents and I still have and use the Luna a fair amount but packed with stakes and lines it is only fractionally lighter than is the Fly Creek, has condensation issues and needs much more room to set up.

I have done reviews of the Fly Creek on Trail Space and on Backpacking Light if you are interested.

Edited by Pika (06/26/13 01:19 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling and content