Originally Posted By DTape
nelamvr6,

I spend a majority of my time in the Adirondacks. The bears up here are quite adept at figuring out hung food, especially in the popular areas. They are also creatures of habit and will visit the areas which have been fruitful. Again these are the high use areas. The problem with the distance issue in the high use areas is your sleeping spot was likely someone else's dinner spot the night before. Lastly, they are hunted and thus have a healthy fear of man. So all in all, if you keep a clean camp and avoid the high use areas you will probably never see a bear of ever have an issue. I would still store your food properly at night. In the EHPZ, hard sided bear canisters are required. I would also use them in other high use areas such as near state campgrounds. In the more back country areas, a properly hung bag or an ursack is sufficient. Like others I don't worry about eating that far away from my camp during long term rain. And like others I am usually not making the most elaborate meals at that time either.

Please forgive my ignorance, what is the "EHPZ"?