Just started reading in this sub-forum. (58, but can't get the 25 attitude to go away). When I started back in to this wonderful and nearly forgotten aspect of outdoorsiness, I was carting around about 40 odd pounds of stuff wearing a pair of hiking boots I'd bought for day-to-day walks. They weighed about 3 pounds each, took (as I recall) about a month to break in and just were not all that comfotable. So I switched to my old tried and true combat boots. Not much of an improvement, but somewhat better.

Now, I wear one of two boots when I go for short or long hikes. In summer I wear a pair of Converse (now Reebok) 8" desert combat boots and in the winter, a pair of Bates 8" tactical boots. They both fit great, and feel like a pair of tennis shoes. each weighs about around a pound and 8 or 9 oz. Theyve got a side zipper so on/off is a breeze and I only have to tighten up the laces about every 25 miles or so. I use both on more or less a daily basis and will swear by them. I'm even loooking ot get a pair of 5 or 6" boots for summer wear (though I am considering trail shoes for the daily walks).

The great ting about tactical boots is they're designed for people who are on their feet most or all day in all types of terrain. Mine work great for me as they are both breathable, wear well with the socks I hike in and are extremely comfortable on my feet.

I'm with everyone else though who has suggested going to a sprots specific shoe store or big box sporting goods store and look at what is being offered in the hiking/walking section. Try on several different manufacturers and before buying, google (or Bing) search for reviews of those particular shoes. That should answer any durability questions you have.