Thorlo socks are synthetic. I used to wear them (light hikers) until I discovered that Smartwool socks of the same thickness, under controlled conditions (hanging in the shade in summer, after removal from the washing machine) dry quite a bit faster (in my test, after washing, the difference was about 2 hours faster for merino wool). Also, merino wool feels dry and warm on your feet even when not 100% dry. (I took that into account in the above test and made sure the wool was really dry.) Strange, everyone else recommends wearing merino wool instead of synthetics to avoid odor! It's interesting that your findings differ, Gershon! (As a female, I don't get so stinky, or maybe my nose is less sensitive, so I can't test that feature.)

I agree, avoid cotton socks, or your feet will be constantly wet--cotton absorbs lots of moisture and is extremely slow to dry. That leads to blisters as well as (in hunting season) cold feet.