Originally Posted By sheep
Thanks for all the excellent info! I have read over a few times even if I haven't replied until now.

I went to a store today and the man recommended a pack around 70L+ of which he had none in store. I will be travelling for about 2.5 months, what kind of size do most people use?

He also mentioned that some bags can be locked while others can't be locked. It didn't seem like a big issue to me as I've never had any problems with baggage handlers but is a lock something that bags should have?

I'll be doing lots of things from swimming to clubbing to outdoors trekking so I feel like I need to fit a long into this bag! (Travelling light seems to be a problem!)

You may want to stop by the Lonely Planet forums, or other European-style backpacking forums for advice. I'm sure many of us here might give you a gestalt insight, but the technical details elude me as well as potentially many others here, too.

Seeing as you are across the pond, I would advise looking up Jack Wolfskin as a brand. I'm unsure if they make products for your kind of backpacking, but a buddy of mine used his JW pack for real backpacking and loved it. Good build quality, and lots of utility.

As far as a "lockable" pack, I think that's just a guy trying to upsell you something. Think about it: why "lock" a cloth strap that can be easily cut with a knife? That's patently ridiculous.