Originally Posted By OregonMouse
No, JP was already almost midway in the adjustment at age 9. His little brother could wear it at age 7 (we didn't try it earlier, but he could probably have worn it at 6). At age 7, JP was using an older model REI chldren's pack. At age 13, although JP hasn't started the teenage growth spurt yet, he has basically outgrown the Fox 30--it's at the largest adjustment and he wants to carry more than we can squeeze into the 30-liter pack (his fishing tackle is a problem). He can now carry all his gear and most of his food (thank goodness!) and that won't all fit in the 30 liter pack, either. Probably the Deuter Fox 40 youth pack will be next, until that growth spurt gets going (his father didn't start until 16, so we're not anticipating it soon). I'd prefer to get him a ULA Catalyst, equal comfort but much lighter, but the price differential is just too steep for a pack that will be outgrown in a few years.

It's going to be a toss-up as to which child goes to an adult pack first--JP or his 11-year old sister, who is already starting her growth spurt!

My bet is that his sister will grow first. My daughter grew like crazy at 11. She is probably close to full grown now. I plan to get her a pack next year, and it will probably be an adult pack that will last her until she wears it out. Of course, most of my scouts are about full height by 14. They aren't full weight, and their shoulders aren't broad, but their feet are generally pretty close to full size. It is always funny to watch their coordination as their body keeps changing dimensions.