It's nice knowing that A: he made it back alive and B: it was a Federal rescue instead of a volunteer SAR so he'll probably be held responsible financially. Living to tell about it and paying for a helicopter ride will probably teach him a lesson he'll share in the future.
Whomever was "leading" his "hiking group" should also be held responsible for letting him wander off or not thinking to stop and keep the "group" together in some form of cohesion.

Originally Posted By lori
Dude is a typical Yosemite tourist - yesterday, as I tried to have infinite patience with everyone in slick soled shoes s-l-o-w-l-y descending the wet steps of the Mist Trail, I must have looked like I belonged there, as I was asked multiple times where the falls were ("well, did you notice you are wet? yes? you're almost there....") On the second bridge (along the river between Nevada and Vernal): "Where is the JMT? Do you know the way to Nevada Falls?"

Seconded. Something about the usual tourist crowd at Yosemite, they just latch onto anyone that looks or walks like they have a purpose.
My favorite are the inexperienced backpackers wandering around the Vogelsang area without maps:
"How far away is the lake?"
'Which lake?'