I solo a lot, and mainly for the same reasons, but also because I like being out there solo.

I was apprehensive too at first, but after the first time out I got comfortable with it. I think the fear of something going wrong is overblown. We certainly hear of solo hikers getting into trouble now and then, but we seldom hear about those that don't, which certainly out number those that do by a lot.

Lori's advice about navigating is probably the most pertinent. If you're not lost and you're not injured you're good. Not getting lost is pretty easy if you've got experience hiking and using maps and keeping track of where you are. Not getting injured is pretty easy too if you don't push yourself too hard or do inherently dangerous things while out there.

I solo almost exclusively off trail, and I tend to wander and not follow a specific route. So, when I leave a map of where I'm going I draw a route on it to show where I will likely be, and a line around the area I will be in, and I stay within those boundaries. This gives me the flexibility to wander and the SAR team a pretty good idea of where to look if I don't return on time.

I have a few things I bring to make it easier to be found. I bring an emergency blanket that is made from the foil like material and I keep it with me. Those are pretty easy to spot from the air. I also bring a piece of bubble foil insulation which has a foil like side to it. The two of these together make a pretty good emergency shelter that's light, warm, and visible.

I bring my cell phone. It's doesn't always get a signal in the deep and steep valleys we have here, but almost always gets one on the ridges, and in many cases it will send a text message even when it won't make a voice connection.

I always bring some extra food, at least enough for a couple days. Not 3 full meals, but enough to survive on without starving and to keep my energy up.

I bring enough LED lights and batteries to hike out at night if the need arises. I always bring a compass and a map and a GPS. If I do have to make a call or send a text for help I want to know my lat/long so I can include it. The goal is to make it as easy on the SAR folks as possible.

In short, I do all the same things I do when I backpack with others.

I'll suggest you do a short trip with the intention of spending a night or two at a particular spot that is well known just to get the feel of being out there alone. The first night you'll shake off a lot the uneasiness you feel now. The second night you'll sleep better and shake off most the rest of it. After that you can plan a trip like you would if you had friends with you and be comfortable with it, and from then on you'll probably really start enjoying going solo. If you find you don't enjoy it, well, start haranguing your friends to get out there with you again, and if that doesn't work then look for some new friends that will smile

"You want to go where?"