Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

As for those who cannot get their stuff together in time, how about a little help from others instead of waiting at your packs tapping your foot?

I backpacked with a gal who resisted the help offered almost to the point of hitting someone. She wanted to obsessively fold her tent *just so*...

Pacing is another subtle skill of backpacking. The less backpacking someone has done, the longer it takes them to get on the trail in the morning. I usually plan to stand around if I'm with beginners. Last weekend was no exception. I followed my routine of putting everything away as I got up and collapsing my tent before breakfast, then packing as I finished up my coffee. Was standing there watching other people eat breakfast chatting for a while. One of them asked about how quickly I packed - I said "we wanted an early start, I wasn't going to be an impediment. Plus, that's just the routine for me." That kicked the slowest poke to take down his tent.

http://hikeandbackpack.com