+2 for Lori's comments!

Everyone's feet are different, so the chances are excellent that any specific brand that any of us might recommend will not fit you. That's why I won't recommend a brand!

Many of us now hike in low-cut trail runners instead of boots. That includes me, who gave up my boots only after much kicking and screaming and trying, unsuccessfully, to find boots without Goretex liners. After my first hike in trail runners three years ago, I've never touched the boots. which are on their way to Goodwill. The trail runners are lighter, far more comfortable and actually support my deformed feet and weak ankles far better than did any boot I have ever tried.

I'd suggest going to a good running shoe store for a good fit. Make sure what you buy has enough traction on the soles, though.

Most thru-hikers (who hike farther in a day than most of us) figure 500-700 miles per pair of trail running shoes. They plan to go through 4-5 pair during a 2500 mile thru-hike.

One tip--once you've found the perfect shoes for you (do at least one long backpack in them to be sure), buy several pair (you can usually order them from one of the online shoe places). It's as sure as death and taxes that the manufacturer will change the model next year--not just the decorative trim but the last! I have one more pair of the pre-Columbia Sportswear-buyout Montrail Hardrocks and then I'll have to find a new "perfect shoe." Columbia completely ruined the Hardrocks after the takeover and finally discontinued them.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/24/13 12:53 PM)