Me and some friends are planning a double overnighter and for this trip it will involve a campfire and with the campfire comes the smoke. During a scouting trip we had a small fire to cook our food on and the smoke just seemed to follow one guy around. Now I know to battle the smoke you can either hunt out and burn strickly hard wood to burn or build up the back of the fireplace bit taller then the tallest person on the trip. Building the back wall of the fireplace another 3 feet just seems a bit sketchy with what we have to work with. I'm not looking to tear up the ground looking for rocks to use and a stack of stones 7 feet high seems a bit extreme. We will be cleaning out the fireplace back down to its original floor which should help with air flow. The wood all around the site for a 100 yards is damp, not punky, it cracks like a campfire but the outer wood is damp. So that we don't have much control over. Is there any other tips or tricks to help stop the smoke from chasing campers in circles?

Edited by Swizzle (04/16/13 10:17 AM)