I like what you say about the "little things" that turn into big things ("Well, my big toe feels like it's hot in the middle, but I don't want to sound like a wimp - it'll probably be OK...") and getting folks not to be polite.

Sometimes, too, it's being obsessive when you're actually walking. I have a friend whose on-trail leadership with beginners I really admire. Before the trip, he tells everyone "there are two rules to backpacking. Rule 1 is Be Safe; Rule 2 is Have Fun. If you ever feel, for any reason, that you're not safe, tell me. If you ever feel, for any reason, you're not having fun, tell me. We'll do what's necessary to fix that." As a result, we've had people say, "Andy, I don't feel safe on that narrow trail at the edge of the cliff," and so we do something (such as a "chair rail" of hiking staffs) to fix it. "Andy, I'm not having fun anymore; I'm really get tired and winded." We slow our pace, or take a break and get out a map to show them how far we are from the next arch or other scenic spot. (He goes out of his way to ensure that beginner trips are in high-scenery areas, i.e., "fun.")

But he's also obsessive about the little things that we all do naturally in the rhythm of a trip, but beginners don't know yet. Anytime we stop for a rest or a mini-class (water purification, how to dig a cathole, etc. are covered on the trail), he says, "It's a bit cool, you might want to put on a layer before you get chilled" or "this would be a good time to get a drink and maybe eat some trail mix," and he'll always ask, "Is anyone getting a hot spot on your foot? Is everyone's pack riding comfortably? Does everyone have at least half a liter of water?" Then, when it's time to start back up, it's "When we get walking, we'll warm up quickly - this would be a good time to take off that layer you put on when we stopped." Often, by mid-afternoon, these things have become automatic for everyone in the group. (I've hiked with "graduates" on subsequent trips, and the lessons stuck.)

There are three or four of us who have worked with him a good bit in these classes; usually, at least two of us go along. We consciously place ourselves in the middle and rear of the group (usually 8 or 10 folks), and switch places at the breaks. It allows us to let different people hike at different paces without feeling like they're holding folks up. Those in the front see a couple of leaders strung out behind them and get the concept of HYOH; those in back see leaders strung out among the group and understand that speed does not equal skill. They're also reassured because there's an experienced person near them, always, and they can always see the middle person (who kind of hangs in limbo: he is always within sight of both the lead group and the rear group, even though those groups may not be in sight of one another) and don't feel abandoned. And, with the switching places, it all feels like we're just getting to know one another rather than having them feel like they're being "herded."

I don't think I said all that very well; you really need to see Andy lead a trip to appreciate the attention to detail work.

That attention to detail really pays off; it's a gentle way of getting them into the rhythm of a hike.