I think I agree with Lori here. Although you need these skill to lead, it sounds more like you are teaching "How to backpack in a group", not so much leadership skills. And I also think Lori's idea of pulling out some pages on leadership from mountaineering books is an excellent idea. The whole concept of risk evaluation/assessment needs to be addressed as well. Various risks could include weather, animals, terrain, altitude, and possibly people. To lead when everything is going smoothly is (usually) easy, it's when stuff starts to go down the tubes that it can get hard. Being able to assess potential risks as the trip continues and things are developing is a critical skill.

A couple of other notes;

Most of your points are things that are easy to pick up and develop habits for, such as sharing gear and the rest step. I assume that the classes will be practicing these skills in field as opposed to just on the chalk board. These skills will come naturally with a little thought and practice, although putting them all together so that they will become a habit for each person may be a little harder. These are all good group backpacking skills, not necessarily just leadership skills. Map reading is generally NOT one of these easy to pick up skills.

Pervasive map use. When I go into a new area, this method is exactly what I use to keep track of where I am and get a feel for the scale of the landscape. I find that most people don't refer to their maps often because they can't really read the things, and they assume the trail will get them where they want to go anyway. I'm sure I will come across as annoying, but I HAVE MET RELATIVELY FEW PEOPLE WHO ARE CONSISTENTLY PROFCIENT AT TOPOGRAPHIC MAP READING. Even among geologists who are supposed to be good at this, there are quite a few who never really get it. I just think it takes more practice than the other items you have mentioned, and as such is more like wilderness first aid. In other words, it needs to be practiced rigorously. It seems to me that a leader should be able to read the map under stressful conditions, because that is when it will be the most critical. Too many classes just slide people through on this. So I would suggest some minimum performance standard be set.

The rest of your list will be driven by group dynamics if you ask me, and having the flexibility to handle that is a whole different skill set as well. Balzaccom kind of hinted at this, but Group dynamics and delegating tasks should be added to your list.

Anyway, that's my .02 for what it's worth.

Chris