OM and I have mentioned on occasion how important it is to stop and turn around and take a good look behind you so you can remember what the view looks like on your way back. I think it's also important to note smaller features you'll see on the trail back too.

I try to commit to memory things like unique rock formations, boulders, trees that stand out in some unique way, like big, or fallen, or broken trees, and even bits of trash along a trail. I can pick up bits of trash on the way out, but I generally do not on the way in if I'm coming out on the same path.

So, when leading a hike with newbies I make it a point to stop the group and tell them to remember the view for the hike back. It's obviously best to do this where there is something memorable in view. I also just casually point out things along the way: "Hey, check out that huge Cedar growing in the crack of that cliff face over there". On the way back I casually mention it again, "There's that big Cedar tree, I'm always amazed that they can hang on the side of a cliff like that."

I find these little routines and comments stick with group members and greatly ease their worries that I don't know where I'm at and we're all lost and in danger. and it demonstrates, without instruction, how and why I know where we are.

I also think it's fun, and good exercise, to stop at trail intersections and ask the group which way we should go. If they've been keeping track of our progress and paying attention to their maps they should be able to figure it out, but if they can't it's the perfect opportunity to show them how. I'll do this when it's time to head back too. After everyone is ready to head out I'll ask "Okay, which way do we go?

This is fun for me because I generally find that at least some people in a group setting are very much expecting they don't have to think about that, but as a group leader I know they do. There's generally at least someone along who's been paying attention and knows right off the bat, but there's also generally one or a few, or even most or all, that haven't a clue and that provides the perfect opportunity to ask "What would you do if a rhinoceros ate me last night?"

After asking, I wait for an answer. I basically force them to make a decision on which way to go. If they choose wrong I tell them, "You're officially lost". Then I take off my pack and pull out the map and compass and show them how to figure it out.

The main point of all of these exercises is to impress upon the group how being aware of your location is a conscious effort that should become habitual, kind of like looking for street names and stop signs while driving.

"You want to go where?"