So the bottom line is that using leather boots is a terribly impractical idea for water crossings, and having them as my primary pair will require an alternative solution for crossing water.

Now amongst the solutions on the list, the ones we have in Jordan and Saudi (whereas I keep on moving between the 2 locations) are Merrell lightweight hikers, and water-resistant hiking sandals from various brands. We don't have any hiking culture or specialized stores over here, these are just stuff brought randomly by Yemeni traders and found in army equipment stores.

Something that concerns me is how non-waterproof midweight hikers compare to lightweight in drainage. If they do not take significantly longer, I might just buy one pair and use it for everything.

But if I am going to have 2 pairs anyway, then as for my primary, I have 2 choices in addition to the ATAC. They with their local prices are:

- The 5.11 ATAC 8" Coyote ($140)
They are of great durability and comfort according to several reviews (last up to 1 year with soldiers and 3 with workers), but are significantly more expensive than my cheapest choice.

- Regular Merrell mid-weight hiking boots ($120)
A small collection of the regular mid-weight hiking boots. Some have Vibram soles.

- Dr. Martens full grain leather boots ($100)
Besides being the cheapest on the list, several users, including my brother, claimed them being extremely comfortable, and full grain leather is a very durable material. They work on pavement without wearing and have a great appearance for my clothing style. However, I wonder about their grip. My use includes walking on dirt, sand, rocks, and climbing trees.

The master factor is which returns the most value for the money.

What do you guys think?