I've switched to the Squeeze filter over the last year or so, and really like it. The only tip: if the water source isn't deep enough to fill the narrow-mouth reservoir, use your pot to dip water pour it into the reservoir; you'll sterilize the pot the next time you boil water.

I haven't been to the Gorge for a few years (been trying some new places), but I've never carried more than a quart while hiking. (I might carry three quarts for the last hour or so of the day, if I'm planning to make a dry camp.) Streams are frequent, no more than a couple of miles apart. Just watch the topography: Swift Camp Creek, for example, appears to run alongside the creek the entire way on the Forest Service trail map (the free one) - pull out the FS topo map (which you buy), and you soon realize that there are some stretches that are beside the creek, but 30 - 50 feet above it with no easy way down. For your first trip (can't believe I'm saying this), you might start out carrying two quarts until you're more comfortabe with the terrain.

I pack my tent in 3 separate pieces: the tent poles and stakes, in the bag that comes with the tent, go inside my pack, in one corner (outside also works fine); my inner tent goes in one stuff sack, and the fly goes in another. This makes the tent easier to pack: you're loading two small bundles instead of one large bundle. It also means that, if the fly is wet, you can keep it separated from the dry (or at drier) inner.

Be sure to check out the Twin Valley Trail near Germantown, look up the Dayton Hikers (www.daytonhikers.org), and make friends with Andrew, Chad, and Abby at Great Miami Outfitters in Miamisburg.

Maybe I'll see you on a trail one of these days.