You're the one who carries it, so you get to decide. There's nothing "wrong" as long as you are happy with it!

I personally prefer to keep my pack (empty) under 2 lbs. yet I need it to have structure, including stays and load lifters. There are several packs around that meet those criteria, but I get along fine with my Six Moon Designs Comet (bought at the end of 2005, but still holding up just fine). It still feels as though it had been made especially for me. I found out back in 2009 that it will support more weight than I can comfortably carry. At 37 lbs. total pack weight, my shoulders, back and hips were just fine, but my knees and feet were screaming! But that's me, and I can't speak for anyone else! I can't even recommend my pack, since it was discontinued 7 years ago! The one comparable SMD Pack, the Starlite, is far too big in capacity for me--67 liters, while I need no more than 40 even for a 10-day trip.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/05/13 06:09 PM)