Weight of shoes also is dependent on the total weight stress that is put on the shoe. Small light-weight people who carry light packs can get by with lighter shoes. I am with OM on "ankle support" is not necessarily a function of stiff high top shoes. Good quality trail running shoes offer good ankle support by supporting that part of your foot just below the ankle.

Shoes, insoles and socks are a system. You cannot really evaluate shoes unless you have the right socks. I would NEVER buy shoes without taking the socks I will use with me when I go shopping. I am a long-time user of the thicker Smartwool socks. Whatever shoe I buy I also replace the insole with the green Superfeet insole. Yes, that is expensive! I also take the inserts with me when I shop for shoes.

Even after all the trying on shoes, etc, the only real test is a 50+ mile trip. I have had some real disappointments (and a few nearly new shoes that sit in the back of my closet).

Yes, very frustrating - you just find the perfect shoe and the stupid manufacturer discontinue them!