I’m trying to decide between the Double Rainbow and the Stratospire 2. I’d appreciate any guidance users have to offer.

I’m 6’2” tall so headroom is a consideration. I will not always hike with trekking poles. I will use the tent for both solo and double occupancy depending on the trip. I like the versatility of the SS2 (especially the tarp only mode) but I have some questions:

1. If I’m not using trekking poles and carry the optional poles instead, are they equally as strong and sturdy as trekking poles as far as supporting the tent in wind and such?

2. Do you find any significant difference between the DR and the SS2 in their ability to withstand wind and rain?

3. Does the fact the inner mesh tent is not connected to the shell in the SS2 provide a significant advantage with condensation, or does condensation just drip through the mesh?

4. The DR seems to have many more testimonials on the TT website from advanced backpackers. Why do you think that is?

5. Like I said, I’m leaning towards the SS2. The two things I like better about the DR are the semi-freestanding aspect, and that it doesn’t require as large of a footprint to pitch. So really wondering if you’ve found either of those important enough issues to go with the DR over the SS2?