Originally Posted By rionada
Maybe it's just me. But, if you stay off trail and away from the developed areas then:
1) You are not utilizing any of the "amenities" that they're charging for.
2) You can then justify not paying.
3) You're unlikely to get caught in acting on your justification.
Or, maybe, I'm just a cheap bastard that doesn't like being told what to do and then charged for the privilege. And certainly these things should be fought before they happen. But, once they happen then we all get to choose how we handle it.

The only amenity you are using when backpacking is the reservation system. I was originally against the fee when it first came to my attention. Now, I don't mind it. Last time I went backpacking I had to call the Backcountry Office 4 times just to get in touch with someone to secure a permit. The time before that I had to call 2 times. The fee brought access to reservation and trip planning 24/7. I can now see how many people will be at certain campsites when I'm making plan, which is convenience if I want to find a campsite to be alone for a weekend. I'm hardly ever backpacking for more than two nights, so two night of backpacking in the Smokies is a lot cheaper than frontcountry camping when I go on mountain biking trips.

The public process for this fee has been going on since 2011, a local mountain guide business actually supported it. I met those business owners, and they told me in person on why they were for it leading up to the final decision by the officials at the park.

And beside, if you live within the Smokies' border, there are so much more places to go backpacking that make you forget all about..wait, what was that national park called that I was talking about? grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/26/13 03:16 PM)