Originally Posted By lori
I day hike every weekend. And drink lots of water. That does me very well - I'm rarely sore and if I am it's usually because I didn't drink enough water.

I think Lori is right on the mark. Also, when I was in the military proper hydration was extremely important. We also supplemented our water with electrolytes (unflavored in a little foil packet). This was not only for the obvious reasons, but we were also told that this would help with soreness.

I can no longer go to the gym and exercise intensely due an injury. The best I can do is walk and a little on one of those "rocking" walking exercise machines. I also think that gradually decreasing soreness from hiking is really not mysterious. It's just one's body getting back into shape, as if you were starting weight training after a hiatus from it for a few months.

I know that my first trip this year, no matter how short, is going to result in some soreness, being that medical reasons and age, keep me from staying in decent shape anymore.. sick mad

J.