Wow, if I had to "quote" the many things in this thread that I'm going through, I'd have a 3 page post.

One of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life, was, finally, and very recently, face the fact that I'm over the hill, physically. Most of this is due to prior injuries, and now some mental acuity lost and of course, age.

I'm not ususually an openly emotional person, usually more reserved than outgoing, but this aging experince feels like one giant slap in the face from God.

No more "off-trail torture", no steep climbs without stopping to catch my breath, several times, just more casual strolling.

I used to love the challenge of taking on more than I thought I could handle, but those challenges are all over for me, now.
It's like someone cut my legs off. Regrets and triumphs are mixed. Being a very "mobile" person during my career in the military, I got to explore places I would never have been able to afford as a civilian. However, I could never get the time to do the AT or JM trail, just pieces of it (JM). Lots of backpacking in CO, also Korea, the Sahara, and many other unusual places.

Now, finally retired and "worn out" finances prevent exotic trips, and my "newly found" physical limitations prevent a lot of trips I never got to take due to obligations to the military or civilian employer.

I want to try one more trip, that I think would be a challange, even for a younger person, maybe towards or deep into next fall, which is the John Muir trail (the KY/TN) version, which is about 60 miles. Most of my friends are still working, so I'll probably have to do that solo. It'll be dangerous, for a person my age, something I wouldn't have thought twice about when younger, but I figure if I can average 6 miles a day, or slower if need be, it can work out.

So back to Glenn's origional post, and some other's thoughts, I will have to slow down and enjoy the view, but it's really hard to "let go" of my youth. My body is worn out, and beat up, but my brain keeps wanting to fight me and tell me that I'm still the young man I used to be. Funny how the brain pulls tricks on me.

So, I'll just have to hold my head up, and take things a bit easier, and let those pesky girl scouts, and herds of turtles, give me that glaring, angry, "get out of the way" look, as they pass me on the trail. The joke's on them. Time doesn't stop for anybody. wink

Oh, one last thing. Except for squad functions, "group car camping" alcohol never went with me. Period. I wonder...well a couple or three liters of wine in collapsable bottles couldn't hurt...or soothe things that do... laugh

J.