Originally Posted By billstephenson
Quote:
The Lifestraw has a too-short lifespan to be of interest to me.

From the LifeStraw Site:

Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water (Tested up to 1,600 Liters)
Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
Very high flow rate
Easy to clean
Very durable

That's pretty darn impressive.

I think on my next trip I'll use the LifeStraw for drinking water, and I'll use my Britta squeeze bottle to charcoal filter water for cooking (boiling). This is a lighter and easier option than the Katadyne Hiker, and probably costs less. It certainly cost less initially.

My "Hiker" filter failed on a cold weather trip. It didn't freeze, the input nipple broke off when I pulled the hose off of it after using it. Katadyne sent me a new filter body at no charge, so they have my gratitude for the great customer service I received. But the filters are expensive, and they need to be replaced once a year for my use, and it's heavier.

Bill, those are pretty impressive, until I compare it against the Sawyer squeeze.
0.1 microns
3 oz for the whole thing (still need to weigh mine to see what parts that includes)
$50
Million gallon guarantee, you can back flush to increase flow, and extent the life indefinitely.
No moving parts

The life straw is $19, but you have to replace it after 300 gallons. Yeah, I know, it will take a lot of trips to hit 900 gallons (which is the cut off point). You can use the sawyer just like the lifestraw.

Everyone has their preference, and the lifestraw aint a bad option. It is definitely better than a lot of other options out there.